Friday, December 22, 2017

Trips and Tattoos

Sooo for the rest of the posts about our trip out west, I'm going to recommend you read Sarah's blog.. because she is hilarious and I am terribly behind on life in general.

The Badlands!

Mt. Rushmore

Devils Tower

The Last Day

I recently got back from a whirlwind of a different trip.. this one for work. I had the incredible opportunity to visit South Korea and Pacific Combatant Command Headquarters in Hawaii for work to learn all about leadership. I think I'm actually going to write about the highlights of that trip on LinkedIn.

After very long days and non-stop travel I took two days of leave in Hawaii. An awesome woman who I hadn't really had a chance to get to know is part of our leadership group named Sally stopped into a tattoo shop on North Shore. I was so impressed with the work I immediately scheduled to have a tattoo done the next day.

I've always known I wanted a tattoo related to adoption and thought the adoption triad symbol would be a good representation:
... but is that not the most boring and basic thing as a tattoo design? The term and logo describe the three-sided relationship that exists in an adoption between birth parents, adoptive parents and the adoptee, each of which is interrelated and inter-dependent on the others.

 The tattoo artist Brooks is a pretty incredible individual. Check him out on instagram at @paubrooks I shared the stories of adoption in my life with him and I had noticed a radiation mask in his area and asked if it was his. He looked at me curiously wondering what experiences had brought me to that knowledge. That was followed by deep discussions of how much cancer sucks, especially when its in your head. His own experience and from my perspective with a family member. 

I'm getting off track, anyways we bonded and learned a lot from each other. 

I was especially impressed he free handed with sharpie the entire design, they are some seriously straight ruler straight lines. Here's what the progression looked like:







 He is a color MASTER! The orange/yellow/red section are sharks teeth. They represent shelter or coverage, guidance, power, ferocity, adaptability, etc. depending which way they are pointing. 

Ohana means family! This also brings back wonderful memories watching Lilo and Stitch with Jaclyn, who really helped get me through being pregnant and my 8 million questions, so including that just seemed even more appropriate!

What is that little black circle with squiggles you ask? That's an Enata! It symbolizes BB :) Enata is a typical motif in Polynesian tattoo designs to symbolize humans and gods. It’s commonly used for representing life experiences, birth, rank in society, etc.

So there's a whole lot of wonderful symbolism in addition to just the heart and triangle adoption triade shape. 

I asked Brooks when he comes out to the DC convention if he would mind expanding this into a half sleeve with Polynesian style waves and turtles, they symbolize things that are also very important in my life, but I'll save that for when I get the half sleeve done :)


 I also had to laugh because when I got back from my trip I stopped at my parent's house to pick up my dog and about 3 hours later my dad groans and asks, "Is that a new tattoo? ugh Jacquie." We have had this exact conversation about 11 times since i've turned 18. I told him I work in a conservative environment, tattoos are much more acceptable today and I gotta let that little bit of rebel out somehow.. GEEZE dad!

He's never been a rebel. He doesn't get it, and that's ok lol. 

I had a rule before this tattoo that everything I got would be easily covered for work (nothing below the elbow, nothing above the shoulder, etc.) I broke that role, this seemed like the right tattoo to break the rule. 

I went into the bank the other day to make a deposit and the teller asked about the tattoo. I told her, and I always brace myself a little bit because I get the full range of responses. She said to me, "I hope people tell you every single day of your life how strong you are and what a difference you made," annnd then I cried and hugged her, it caught me completely off guard!

I think it's all that wonderful Christmas spirit in the air. Speaking of Christmas, I can't wait to facetime with Tom, Maci and BB and tell them all about the treasures from South Korea and Hawaii I sent to them with love.

Lots of love to you all and I hope all your wishes come true this holiday season! :)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tattoo full of symbolism from the heart and soul. Indicative of how I see your story. Happy new year Jacquie

    ReplyDelete