Thursday, December 17, 2015

You know you chose the best parents when...

One of the questions Macii and Tom asked during the phone interview was if I had any family traditions I would want BB to grow up with. I couldn't think of a single one.

As I post pictures to BB's private facebook group, I'm realizing that there are traditions I would love to share with her. This past weekend on Dec. 12 was Wreaths Across America. I posted all the photos below to the page with the message, "Good Morning everyone! It's difficult to get into the holiday spirit when it's 70 degrees! That is NOT normal for this area in December. One of the holiday traditions I've had for the past five years is to lay a wreath at Arlington National Cemetery. The organization called Wreaths Across America wants our nation to remember our nation's heroes, honor them and teach others about them by coordinating wreath laying ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery as well as veterans cemeteries and other locations in all 50 states and beyond. 241,000 wreaths were distributed for placement at the graves of the fallen.This year was particularly special because Aunt Sarah's boyfriend Dan got to place a wreath at his stepfather's grave."

Tom wrote back, "I love that you do this! BB and I talk often about the importance of volunteering, and I'm excited to give her another amazing example. (Side note: It's a true story that these are the conversations we have. Macii's discussions with her are far more age appropriate.)"

I hope one day we will all get to participate in the event together.  It may sound lame, but my heart keeps growing bigger and i'm shown every day that adoption was the best thing for BB. 

We shipped a big box of presents to BB, Macii and Tom, I'll post a picture after Christmas is over :)

And a bunch of pictures from Wreaths Across America:















No comments:

Post a Comment