Wednesday, December 2, 2015

You had ONE job! .. well two.

I asked my mom the other night during dinner if she reads my blog. She said she has read a few posts here and there. She mentioned to me that she found it surprising that I write about such personal topics and that i'm so open about anything including very personal topics.

It's true. Prior to this experience, I was a very private person except for those who I was closest with. I don't think my family even knew I was dating Dutch until at least a year into it. My dad was diagnosed with cancer in January, and again except to the very few I was closest with,  didn't share that information until April.

I told my mom, "before this experience, I didn't see a benefit to being open. I don't want everyone in my personal business." Now being open has a purpose. When I was in a complete panic over an unplanned pregnancy, I was looking for information and I couldn't find anything to relate to, to help me come to an informed decision, research, personal experiences, you name it. This also serves as something I can re-read to reflect on experiences, it's cathartic and something to leave for BB if it's something she ever wants to read.

When I was looking, most of the information I found was entirely too religious based, others I couldn't relate to, so I decided to share my story in the hopes to help someone, anyone, everyone. Guess what? I even get paid to blog now. I would always just smile and nod at people who would say.. money will follow your passion.

I am absolutely passionate about veterans and helping them get hired, but if I won the lottery would I continue to work 8-4 mon-fri? Probably not.I do love helping people though, and I will talk to anyone anytime about adoption and I'd do it for free. Money does follow your passion.

My mom and I also had a conversation about birth control. I had a procedure done yesterday. I got the birth control implant called Nexplanon implanted in my arm. If you are squeemish, don't scroll down! I had no idea about the implant until talking to my very dear friend Laura, so I want others to be aware of it as well.

Birth control makes me nervous  now because the shot didn't work. I very seriously looked and wanted the Essure procedure.  It is a permanent, non-surgical transcervical sterilization procedure for women. Permanent. I decided against it, if an unplanned pregnancy happens again, I would go the essure route, but I want to try this so that I have the option to change my mind. I have an option to be a surrogate mother for friends if we decide to go that route, it was a topic just glossed over, but a topic discussed none the less.I have the option to have another child, if I choose to do so, not anytime soon mind you!

I took a sick day from work because I wasn't sure how I was going to feel. I arrived for my appointment. It was really strange being back in the baby doctor office. The doctor who delivered my daughter was the same one who completed the procedure on me. I signed a consent form and was given a shot of lidocaine.  

I had to lay on the table for five minutes. I freaked out a little bit because I kept poking my arm to see if it was numb. Is it numb now? *poke* nope. It's been two minutes. It is numb now? *poke* nope. Oh my gosh, what happens if they inject this thing into me and i'm not numb?!

The procedure took five minutes and I didn't feel a thing. I was told not to lift anything and not to exercise for one week. Well, I took my bandages off before I was supposed to and carried dog food down to the basement. OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

 I thought to myself.. YOU HAD ONE JOB DUM DUM! Well two jobs, no lifting and no exercise, but that's beside the point.

Note to self: Do not join a running streak when you have a medical procedure at the beginning of the streak. Fail. Although I did get about 98 miles in for the month of October. WIN! I have a lot of pain in my ankles and tightness in my calf muscles when I run now. I just have to keep reminding myself that it will be a long slow process for ligaments and my body to work anything like it used to. 


Patience young padawan. 

I'm going to WALK on the treadmill tomorrow, I promise. There may be a small amount of running involved. (Put your judgey mcjudgerson face away!)

Anyways, here is what it looks like:




Is there a male birth control option yet? I actually like that Nexplanon lasts 3 years, I can physically show the implant is there in my arm and I don't have to worry about forgetting to take a pill. It should be effective by day 5 according to my doctor. 


This isn't the right choice for everyone, but again just an option that you may not be aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment