Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Filling out Documents and Hospital Plans

Things you should expect to fill out after contacting an adoption agency:

- Birth Parent Native American Form: If a potential birth mother is enrolled in an Native American or Native Alaskan tribe, the tribe would have to agree to the placement if the birth mother plans to place the child with adoptive parents who are not members of the tribe. Each Tribe Handles it differently

- Medically Diagnosed Conditions
- Release of Information Forms - this lets the agency receive your medical information to prove you are pregnant, and that they can have the information for permission to work with the hospital

- Drug and Alcohol use during pregnancy (I was lucky in that I do not smoke or do any drugs and I have never been much of a drinker)

- Social History - all about me, my job, where I live, what I love to do, my family, favorite color, economic status, religious beliefs, everything and anything about me

- Budget Form - some agencies will pay for your time off and medical expenses

- Communications Plan - in what way and how often do you want to communicate with the adoptive family, they sign off on this after you create it

- Match Agreement- you agree to place your child with the person/couple you chose

- Hospital Plan - this was I think the most significant to me, and one that made me feel the most overwhelmed. Karen sent one to all my nurses, doctors and social workers at the hospital so they would know what I wanted. I also brought extra copies for anyone who missed the memo.

Who will be in the room during labor? My mom.
Who will be with you in your delivery room? Mom
Would you like to hold the baby right after delivery? Yes. I want skin to skin contact.
Who would you like to cut the baby's cord? The doctor, please.

Discharge: The baby will be discharged to the adoptive parents, thus the hospital will be provided a copy of the entrusted agreement.
-Would like the baby and Jacqueline to be discharged at the same time to leave the hospital together.
- Jacqueline will sign documents provided by the hospital to aide in the care and discharge of the baby to the adoptive parents.

Do you want to see your baby? Hold the baby? Feed the baby? Change the baby? Yes, Jacqueline will provide primary care, the adoptive parents will join her especially during meal time to share meals together.

Who will receive the second bracelet: The adoptive mother. This may change to Dutch or Jacqueline's mother depending on who is there and if the adoptive parents will be provided a room at the hospital.

Are the adoptive parents allowed in your hospital room? Yes, a balance of spending time with them, alone time with the baby, alone time with the baby and her family.

Who is allowed to visit? Mom. Dad. Sister. Dutch. Biological mother. Friend Sarah. Adoptive parents. Karen, agency director. Mark McDermott - lawyer.

What will be the baby's name? The child was named together by birth mom and adoptive parents. Under no circumstances should the baby be given the adoptive parent's last name.

Do you agree to the child receiving the Hep B Shot? Yes

Do you wish to keep any mementos? Yes, Jacqueline will keep all mementos and gift them to her daughter at a later date. If copies can be made, adoptive parents would like to receive a copy of the baby's footprints and crib card if possible.


It's a lot to think about. My choices were what was best for me, not necessarily what is best for anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment