Friday, October 30, 2015

How much Maternity Leave should I take?




After my C-section, physically I felt like two weeks would have been sufficient enough time to go back to work but I would have been an emotional wreck crying at random things and still not able to focus.

I took from Sept. 3 to Oct. 19. That’s seven weeks. I researched it typically takes six to eight weeks to heal from a C-section. I was cleared to resume my normal life at week five. That may be abnormal because I was really active prior to and during my pregnancy, or it may be completely normal. All I do know is everyone is different.

This is the most time I have EVER not worked since I turned 16. I thought I would be aching to go back to work. I did miss my co-workers and I did miss the work I enjoy. At the same time, I have to listen to advice I would give to others in the same situation.

“You just had a baby, you didn’t come home with that baby, you need to grieve, you need to learn how to function with that grief, you need to establish a new normal, you need to figure out how to laugh and enjoy life again but honor what you’ve been through.” I wouldn’t recommend anyone else rush back to work, so I took my own advice.

I kept myself busy reading a lot of books, had many conversations with friends, I received updates on BB, I traveled to St. Louis to spend time with my grandparents and Aunt. I attended events I would have before knowing I was pregnant. I traveled to Arizona and spent a week with a friend and got out to do some hiking in the Sonoran Desert. More on that later.

I understand taking seven weeks off from work isn’t an option for everyone, especially when the Federal Government does not offer paid maternity leave. Check with adoption agencies, sometimes they can assist you by providing you with the same amount of money your paycheck would be so that you can take leave and still be able to pay your bills. That is a service Graceful Adoptions offers.

Mental health is important and healing is a process that shouldn’t be rushed. Take more time than you think you need, and if you need more time than what you thought.. take that time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment